Friday, July 6, 2012

~Ya-Hoo~!

Every year a poster is created for the Calgary Stampede.  In honour of the 100th celebration, this is the poster created for this year.  I just love it!

2012 marks the 100th celebration of the Calgary Stampede and I'm proud to say that I've attended this annual event over 40 times.  This year it begins today on July 6 and runs for 10 exciting days.  I love it all.... beginning with the Parade (this morning from 9-12) to the Rodeo, Chuck Wagon Races, Grandstand Show, Concerts (I'm off to see Brad Paisley on the 14th), Midway Rides, Arts & Crafts Displays (I have participated and won ribbons over the years), Agriculture & Animal Barns  and food (can't pass up those mini donuts).
When my son was 4-5 years old he participated in the Mutton Bustin' event at various rodeos around town.  This is an event similar to bull riding or bronc riding in which children ride sheep.   I couldn't resist doing a western themed layout in honour of the Calgary Stampede's 100th celebration.  He is 22 years old now and has attended his fair share of events at the Calgary Stampede.  My daughter also participated for many years in the Calgary Round-up and Calgary Stetson Marching Show Bands.  Both of them creating memories that will last a lifetime.
I used a piece of denim from an old pair of jeans and sewed a pocket to hold extra photos.  I found this western themed ribbon and gathered it along the bottom of the photos.

Couldn't resist adding the old milk bottle tops as a special reminder of days gone by.  They also hold very special meaning for me.
And a few old-fashioned carnival ride tickets.  I'm sure this is what my ride tickets looked like the first year I attended the Calgary Stampede... I was 10 years old!

I hope you all get a chance to attend The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth at least once!  YAHOO!




2 comments:

Susan said...

Love the layout, Val! We went to sneak a peek last night and the grand stand show is amazing this year, a must see!!

Sandy Ang said...

what a fantastic LO. Love all the ephemera you incorporated