Tuesday, August 27, 2013

*Diana* Gets a Makeover

About 15 years ago I found this dress form at a garage sale.  It was very inexpensive so I purchased it and actually used it a few times when making dresses for my daughter.  I haven't required her services in many years so, instead of throwing her away, I decided to add her to my collection of dress forms sitting in my sewing room.
She wasn't up to the standards of being with the other "women" so she needed a much deserved makeover.
I purchased 2 yards of printed burlap fabric and pinned it right sides to the mannequin.
My old school sewing days came back to me as I created darts and pin tucks.
 This was so simple to do and took me very little time.  
 In no time at all she was ready to take her place with the others. 

I have quite the collection now.  

And a close up of Miss Diana!
This was a little paper mache one that my friend Marianne gave me last year.
 I decided to mod podge her in book paper.
 Added a cute little drawer knob at the top.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Red Door

For as long as I can remember I have wanted a red front door on my house.  We recently had the outside of the house painted white and this was the perfect opportunity to paint all the doors on the house red.
Well, you can't have a red door with that old brass hardware, so off to the store to purchase some spray paint.
Here is the door ...... BEFORE
 This was really easy to do, just takes a little patience to let each coat dry thoroughly.  I used one coat of grey primer and let it dry for about an hour.
Then sprayed two coats of matte black spray paint for metal and let dry in between coats.
What a difference a can of spray paint makes.  I love how they turned out!
Of course you also can't have a new door without a new wreath so I purchased an 18" metal wreath from Michaels.  I had a huge roll of 6" wide heavy burlap with a nice red stitch along the edges so I created this lovely wreath for my front door in no time at all. 
And...... AFTER

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Dressing up some Glass Bottles

For Christmas last year my friend Maureen gave me this set of bottles, knowing full well that I would create something with them...
I had a very large roll of burlap stashed away in my cupboard so I cut pieces to fit around each bottle and then stamped numbers on the burlap using Stazon Ink.
 I glued twin around the necks of each bottle.
It was quick and easy and I love how they turned out.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sizzix Pop 'n Cuts Cards

I recently became addicted to the new Sizzix Pop 'n Cuts 3D dies and bought myself a couple to get started.
I started with the main base die which comes with the small label die and used it as the base to attach the cupcake that I created using my Cricut machine and the "Celebrations" cartridge.
Then I used the 3D Label pop-up Die and cut my mannequin using the Tim Holtz Die.
I had so much fun creating these cards and I'm off to purchase more insert dies.  I hear they have a suitcase die..... :)