Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Altered Tool Box

When my kids started junior high school and had the option of taking “shop” or “home economics” class I persuaded them to sign up as these were classes that would help them along in life…. At least that’s what I thought. After all, I had taken home economics throughout my junior high school years and that led to my love of sewing. Meagan took home economics (or food services as it was sometimes called) in grade 7, which led to disappointment as all the recipies were made from a “Betty Crocker” mix, no home-made, start from scratch, baking at this school. So the next year she decided on “shop” class (or woodworking) where she made a few things “from scratch”. One of the things that she made was a metal tool box for Grandpa Ed as he had hundreds of tools and was always making things for us. She was proud to present it to him on one of our trips to Saskatchewan, where he proudly displayed it in his workshop.

Gone, but not forgotten …. when Grandpa Ed passed away Grandma gave the toolbox back to me and a flood of memories with it. Inside Meagan had written her initials and 1998 (she was 13 years old) and it still opened and closed with a bit of a tug. I put it away for a couple of years and the other day when I was searching for something, I came across it. I decided that it was time for it to be displayed again so I got out all my crafting supplies and altered it. It now sits on the shelf in my scrapbooking room holding all my vintage ephemera….. wouldn’t Grandpa be proud!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I love it Val! Although when it gets handed down in the next generation I think it may have to go to a grand-daughter...... I don't think Craig would go for it! haha