Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Latest Obsession!


My family is always asking me "what are you going to create next"?  And they got quite the surprise when this dollhouse kit arrived at my door.  For most of my life I have wanted to build a dollhouse.  As a little girl living in Scotland I had the most precious doll house but had to leave it behind when I moved to Canada.  I finally made the decision to make my own and I chose the Magnolia dollhouse kit by Greenleaf.
This classic country farmhouse features long pointed gables with decorative trim, fixed double hung windows, and four spacious rooms. Two sets of French doors leading to balconies and a cozy fireplace add to its country charm. Other features include a full porch, silk screened windows and a curved staircase.  The 25 pound kit came with 7 pages of schematics, 11 pages of step-by-step instructions and 10 sheets of pre-punched wood pieces.  I was very nervous about being able to tackle this project on my own, but I completed it and I know that my father-in-law would be super proud of me!  This one's for you Ed.....

I knew it was going to be a daunting task, but I had no idea it would involve so much time.  I bought my kit 6 weeks ago and have spent countless hours sanding, painting and glueing.  I've loved every minute of it and found it somewhat relaxing working on it throughout the summer evenings when there was nothing to watch on television.
I took a lot of photographs along the way but will just post a few so you can get the idea of just how much work is involved in putting this thing together.

Started with assembling and painting all the windows, walls and doors.

 I created faux stone work on the front porch and steps.
Left side - Fireplace Wall
Right Side Nursery Balcony - Notice the cute little red wagon!
Both sets of balcony door open.

Laying shingles on the roof - These took 6 hours to stain and 2 days to install
The adorable baby pram and cute little wellies on the front porch.

Inside the Kitchen - Yes there are cute little food items in the cupboard!

Inside the Living Room - love the persian rug that my friend Maureen gave me!
Faux stone work on the fireplace wall complete with a hearth and mantle.
Notice the old fashioned television (3 bolts of sewing fabric on top of the TV) 
and sewing machine with the cute rack of threads.
Inside the Nursery - complete with matching wallpaper, border and mat
Inside the Master Bedroom - Furniture all the way from the UK for this room!

 The finished product - Front View
The Rear View
My husband kindly mounted it onto a turntable for me so it was easy to manoeuvre while working on the last bits and pieces and it will make it much easier to "play" with!!!
Now, the exciting part..... continuing to decorate and furnish it.  I have collected a few items so far but have a long way to go to get it fully furnished.  Stay tuned for more pics!


3 comments:

Kerri said...

Valery, you never cease to amaze me!!! That you were able to complete this project in only 6 weeks along with everything else that you do is beyond amazing. What you have accomplished so far with the decorating is stunning. I'm sure exploring for the rest of the furnishings will be even more exciting! I need to learn perserverance from you to get my projects completed. You truly are a talented, gifted person!!!

Maureen said...

luv, luv, luv it!!! Although, I can't see Dale in that master bedroon!! LOL!! It is precious, really!!

Ann at Prairie Primrose said...

That is fabulous! I love the colors you have picked!