Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Red Door

For as long as I can remember I have wanted a red front door on my house.  We recently had the outside of the house painted white and this was the perfect opportunity to paint all the doors on the house red.
Well, you can't have a red door with that old brass hardware, so off to the store to purchase some spray paint.
Here is the door ...... BEFORE
 This was really easy to do, just takes a little patience to let each coat dry thoroughly.  I used one coat of grey primer and let it dry for about an hour.
Then sprayed two coats of matte black spray paint for metal and let dry in between coats.
What a difference a can of spray paint makes.  I love how they turned out!
Of course you also can't have a new door without a new wreath so I purchased an 18" metal wreath from Michaels.  I had a huge roll of 6" wide heavy burlap with a nice red stitch along the edges so I created this lovely wreath for my front door in no time at all. 
And...... AFTER


3 comments:

courtney hennagir said...

I have always wanted a red door too! There is just something about it that I have always loved.It looks amazing!

Unknown said...

I'm so sure you're satisfied of your DIY project. This is so splendid! That red door is perfect for your walls and roof, plus it boosts the curb appeal of your house. Great job, Valery! I'm looking forward to some other DIY projects that you'll finish in the future. Keep me posted. :)

Mason Mcnulty @ RenewalOfMaine.com

Nida Eisner @ All County Exteriors said...

Red door very well complemented your brick wall and your roof as well. White may look neat and clean, but the fact that it blends with the rest of the exterior makes your door look dull. With its new color, your door was highlighted and brought back to life.