Friday, September 9, 2011

Create a Trinket Box

My project was featured on the 7 Gypsies Blog for Facebook Friday!
Check it out at 7 Gypsies.

In just under an hour you can create a treasured trinket box from a recycled cardboard box.
I picked up a few of these boxes at my local craft store. They are relatively inexpensive and are so much fun to create with. I bought this 7"x5"x3.5" one for a couple of dollars and just had to use the new 7 Gypsies Tissue Paper on it. It was very quick to make and in just under an hour I had the perfect gift for someone special. I gathered my supplies: 7 Gypsies Tissue Tape, Gel Medium, paint brush, ruler, scissors ink, lace and flowers & trinkets for the top.
Start by cutting the tissue paper about 1/4" larger than the top and sides of the box. Spread a thin layer of the gel medium on top of the cardboard and lay the tissue paper down on top applying another layer of the gel medium on top of the paper to seal it. You have to work fairly fast as the paper starts to dry almost immediately.
Gently sand the edges of the box to remove the excess tissue paper.
Then I chose a favorite piece of patterned paper to go inside the bottom of the box. I loved this piece by GCD Studios "Vintage Audrey" as it is a replica of an old pattern piece.
Measure the sides of the box lid and cut the tissue paper double the length of each side and pleat the paper accordian style to get that crumpled look. Using the same application method, apply the paper strips to each side of the box lid.
Ink all the edges of the box and lid with Tim Holtz "Vintage Photo" distress ink.
Glue a piece of your favorite lace or trim around the edge of the box lid.
The next step is the "fun" part. Decorate the box lid with your favorite trinkets and treasures that you have in your stash. I used some Prima flowers, Kaiser Craft pearl flourishes, K&Company butterflies, buttons, twine, a metal heart locket and the 7 Gypsies Book Knob "Big Ben". Enjoy the finished product or give it away as a beautiful gift.


2 comments:

Susan said...

Congrats Val!! I love the trinket box and the tutorial. You are such a talented lady!!

Sheila A. said...

Congratulations on being chosen on "Gypsies Journal". I LOVE the trinket box. It's so simple to make with your tutorial..good job.
I already have ALL the supplies so
I'm going to try it. I signed up for the feed for your post. Looking forward to more great ideas!